4. Best con Cerveza: Miniature Black Bean Burritos
For a protein- and fiber-packed crowd pleaser, try these black bean burrito bites.
1. In a large nonstick skillet, combine 2/3 cup onion, minced; 2 gloves garlic, minced; and 2 tablespoons chicken or vegetable broth.
2. Cook, stirring, over medium heat for 3 minutes. Add 2 cups black beans, cooked; 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin, 1/8 teaspoon ground coriander; and 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
3. Remove from the heat and mash the beans.
4. Next, place 4 flour tortillas (6 inches in diameter) on a paper towel.
5. Microwave on high power for 30 seconds, or until warm.
6. Spread each tortilla with the bean mixture.
7. Roll up then cut each roll into 4 pieces.
8. Top with dollops of salsa and fat-free sour cream. Sprinkle with chopped fresh cilantro.
Note: There are 124 calories per serving.
5. Best Grilled Veggie: Asparagus Swathed in (Optional) Prosciutto
This summer staple packs a lot of healthy bennies (it’s an excellent source of folate, for instance, which protects both the heart and the spinal health of unborn babies) into its slim frame. It’s quick to grill, and full of flavor without much fuss. If you want extra zing, wrap the stalks in prosciutto before serving.
1. Coat a ridged grill pan or barbecue grill with olive oil spray and heat to medium.
2. Place 24 large asparagus spears on a plate, drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil, and season to taste with salt and ground black pepper.
3. Roll in the oil to evenly coat. Grill the asparagus, turning once or twice, about 5 minutes, or until lightly charred and just tender.
4. Transfer to a plate and let cool.
5. Cut each of 12 large, paper-thin slices of prosciutto in half, and roll prosciutto around each asparagus spear.
Note: There are 116 calories per serving.