These simple toasts make a great appetizer or a side dish for a hearty bean soup. If desired, top with a little grated Parmesan cheese.
Prep: 10 min
Cook: 10 min
Total: 20 min
1. Slice kale leaves in half crosswise. In a large, deep skillet or wok, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add red-pepper flakes and sliced garlic; cook, stirring, about 30 seconds (do not brown).
2. Add kale, in batches if necessary, and sauté until just tender (but not completely limp).
3. Remove from heat and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cover and keep warm.
4. Toast bread or grill it until slightly crusty. Lightly brush with olive oil.
5. Cut whole garlic cloves in half, rub over toasts, and discard. Top toasts with cooked kale and serve.
Nutritional Facts per serving:
Fat: 11.4 g
Saturated fat: 1.7 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 337.4 mg
Carbohydrates: 38.3 g
Total sugars: 0.5 g
Dietary fiber: 4.6 g
Protein: 9.4 g
Courtesy of the Rodale Healthy Recipe Finder.