You can assemble these skewers and make the bulgur salad up to 3 hours in advance. Coating wooden skewers with cooking spray prevents the likelihood of burning the wood.
1. Bring 2 cups of water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add the bulgur. Remove from the heat, cover, and let stand for 40 to 60 minutes, or until tender-firm. Drain any excess water.
2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the coriander, paprika, fennel seed, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper. Alternately skewer the shrimp, squash, and tomatoes onto twelve 12" wooden skewers.
3. Coat the prepared skewers with cooking spray. Sprinkle the spice mixture evenly over both sides of the skewers.
4. Preheat the grill or heat a grill pan over medium heat. Grill the skewers for 8 minutes, turning once, or until the shrimp are opaque and the vegetables are tender.
5. In a large bowl, combine the bulgur, cucumber, avocado, parsley, lemon juice, oil, lemon zest, the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Toss to coat well.
6. Divide the skewers and salad among 4 plates.
Nutritional Facts per serving
Fat 9.6 g
Saturated Fat 1.5 g
Cholesterol 215.5 mg
Sodium 530.6 mg
Carbohydrates 34.1 g
Total Sugars 6.2 g
Dietary Fiber 9.7 g
Protein 35.6 g