This quick and easy recipe is adapted from The Complete Root Cellar Book, by Steve Maxwell and Jennifer MacKenzie (Robert Rose Inc., 2010; www.robertrose.ca). Reprinted with permission. All rights reserved.
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F.
2. In a large bowl, combine vegetables. In another bowl, mix seasonings and oil. Pour half over vegetables and toss to coat.
3. Divide and spread vegetables evenly between 2 large rimmed baking sheets.
4. Add bread crumbs to remaining seasoning mix and stir to combine. Toss chicken in this mixture to coat. Arrange chicken pieces evenly across top of vegetables.
5. Roast for about 25 minutes, switching sheets between racks halfway through, until chicken is no longer pink inside and vegetables are golden and tender. Combine in a serving dish.
Makes 4 servings
Tip: Pre-prep ingredients. Cover and refrigerate for no more than 1 day, keeping meat separate.
Learn how to build a root cellar in your basement.