1. In a large bowl, mix the apples with the lemon juice to keep them from browning.
2. In a medium nonreactive pot over low heat, combine the ghee, onion, cumin, 2 tablespoons kosher salt, mustard seed, chile pepper flakes, and ginger.
3. Cook and stir often until the onions are translucent, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add the apples and mix well.
4. Increase the heat to medium. Add the brown sugar and vinegar. Cook for about 30 minutes. Add the raisins and cook for another 15 minutes or so, stirring frequently, until the mixture has a thick consistency. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Ladle into hot jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Check for air bubbles, wipe the rims, and seal. Process for 10 minutes, adjusting for elevation.
Makes 5 pints