Autumn Freekeh Salad with ‘Ruby Streaks’ Mustard Greens, Delicata Squash, and Pomegranate
Courtesy of chef Sisha Ortuzar of Riverpark
1. Preheat the oven to 300°F.
2. In an oven-safe pan, cook the squash for a few minutes with a little olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place the pan in the oven and roast the squash for 20 minutes, or until tender.
3. In a pot, lightly toast the freekeh with a little olive oil, then add the onion, carrot, celery, bay leaf, thyme, and garlic. Toss and cook for just a couple of minutes to open up the flavors of the onion, carrot, and celery mixture. Add 2 cups water, bring to a boil, and then lower the heat to a simmer.
4. When the freekeh is cooked through but still has a nice bite, drain the excess water and chill.
5. To prepare the salad, toss the freekeh with olive oil and lemon juice to taste. Add the ‘Ruby Streaks’, parsley, roasted delicata squash, pomegranate, and pumpkin seeds. Toss again, season with salt, and add more olive oil and lemon juice if needed. Top with Pickled Red Onions.
Pickled Red Onions
In a saucepan, combine the vinegar, 1/2 cup water, sugar, and spices and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat, add the onion slices, and stir. Set aside to cool, stirring occasionally. Makes about 3 cups, and keeps well for up to 2 weeks if refrigerated.