February To-Do List for Zone 7
- When you see the first crocus open, consider it time to set out transplants of lettuce, cabbages, and onions; cover them on cold nights.
- In the garden, sow seeds of radishes and cold-hardy lettuces.
- When daffodils "pop," plant seeds of spinach, turnips, and peas.
- Cover the pea bed with clear plastic until sprouts begin to emerge; then, immediately switch to a floating row cover to protect the seedlings from weather and birds.
- Start herb seeds indoors under lights.
- Also indoors, start seeds of annual flowers—such as ageratum, petunia, and snapdragons—that need 8 to 10 weeks to reach transplant size.