February To-Do List for Zone 8
- Feed the soil by applying compost to plantings throughout your landscape: trees, shrubs, lawn, and all garden beds.
- By the third week of the month, plant potatoes 4 inches deep in warm soil.
- Begin sowing seeds of leaf lettuces, collards, and other greens outdoors; for continuous harvest, repeat sowings every 2 weeks.
- On Valentine's Day, prune roses, clean up debris, and then top-dress the shrubs with fresh mulch. No roses? Plant some now!
- Prune fruit trees, then spray them at their "pink bud" stage with either a copper or lime-sulfur solution if you've had trouble with foliar and fruit diseases.
- Plant alyssum (Lobularia maritima), hollyhocks (Alcea rosea), edging lobelia (Lobelia erinus), rocket larkspurs (Consolida ajacis), and Canterbury bells (Campanula medium).