- Stake dahlias and gladiolas when you plant them to keep from damaging their roots later in the season.
- Pinch back foliage ends of mums, a 1⁄2 inch every 2 weeks.
- Fertilize roses now: To supply potassium, whiz banana peels in a blender, then plop the stuff beneath the mulch around your roses.
- Harvest daily from asparagus plants in patches at least 3 years old.
- For autumn harvest, plant bush beans, Brussels sprouts, and late cabbage.
- Spray tomato plants with compost tea (made by steeping an old pillowcase filled with compost in a bucket of water) to prevent diseases.
Photo: (cc) Mr Dunk/Flickr