- Place supports for lanky perennials.
- Pinch back chrysanthemums to keep them bushy—a 1⁄2 inch from the growing tips, every 2 weeks until the middle of next month.
- Prune spring-flowering shrubs after they’ve finished blooming.
- Cage tomatoes, peppers, and eggplant.
- Replace finished lettuce with okra or a late crop of summer squash.
- Plant a few more runs of corn, beans, and cucumbers.
- Plant sweet potato slips early in the month.
- Inventory seeds for the fall garden.
Photo: (cc) Eunice/Flickr