This luscious-sounding formula—fondly called “Hot Buttered Thumb”—was designed by the owner of a Los Angeles nail salon to nourish chapped skin and heal split cuticles. It uses warm milk to help break down dead skin and brown sugar to gently slough it off—and it is deliciously scented with cinnamon and spiced rum.
Find out the nail salon secret for smooth, healed hands, even in the coldest winter weather. It sounds so divinely soothing and warming:
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup spiced rum
Dash of nutmeg
1 cup milk, heated
2 to 3 drops cinnamon essential oil
2 hand towels
2 quart-size plastic bags
1. In a bowl, mix brown sugar, rum, and nutmeg to a scrub consistency. Fill another bowl with the warmed milk and cinnamon oil.
2. Soak hands in milk for 2 to 3 minutes.
3. Massage the exfoliating scrub onto hands and slough off dead skin; rinse with warm water.
4. Wet the hand towels with hot water. Pat hands dry and apply a moisturizer.
5. Slide hands into plastic bags and wrap each with a warm, wet hand towel; let sit for 5 minutes and then remove.