1. Soak the husks in warm water until soft. Rinse thoroughly and set aside.
2. Beat the butter about 3 minutes, till light in color. Add wet masa, baking powder, and salt and beat 20 minutes. When itís ready, a chunk of masa dropped in a glass of water will float. Beat in the corn and peppers.
3. Open a husk flat on the table with the wide end toward you. Spread with about 2 tablespoons masa mixture, lay a log of cheese down the middle, fold the sides of the husk in, and bring the top end toward you. A pretty touch: Tear extra husks into strips and tie one loosely around the tamale to hold the top flap down.
4. Stand the tamales, open end up, on a rack in a large steamer or pressure cooker. Steam for 45 minutes or pressure-cook for 20 minutes at 15 poundsí pressure.
5. Let the tamales rest 15 minutes before digging in. Top with pure red chile sauce.
Makes about 5 dozen tamales