Classic gumbo requires three key ingredients—celery, green bell pepper, and onions. Okra also is traditional, but its viscous texture doesn't appeal to everyone. Instead of ham, this recipe calls for equally flavorful but much leaner turkey kielbasa.
Prep: 10 min
Cook: 38 min
Total: 48 min
1. HEAT the oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
2. Add the kielbasa, onion, bell pepper, celery, garlic, and thyme.
3. Cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp-tender, 6 to 7 minutes.
4. Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute.
5. Add the broth, tomatoes, chicken, and hot pepper sauce.
6. Bring to a boil.
7. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer, partially covered, until thickened and the chicken is cooked through, about 28 to 30 minutes.
8. Remove from the heat and stir in the scallions.
9. Serve over the brown rice.
Nutritional Facts per serving
Calories 377.4 cal
Fat 13.2 g
Saturated fat 3.2 g
Cholesterol 74.4 mg
Sodium 592.3 mg
Carbohydrates 37.3 g
Total sugars 6.6 g
Dietary fiber 4.6 g
Protein 25.3 g
Courtesy of the Rodale Recipe Finder.